Pages

Sunday, 26 February 2012

An experiment and progress

In an effort to get my painting of armies a lot's more efficient and geared toward 'producing' armies rather than piddling around, I got my airbrush and spent a couple of hours trying it out. I have since discovered several things:
1: Make sure you have the right colours (the red I have is too bright, the hull red is too dark and a mix makes them into brown)
2: Make sure your airbrush is clean/paint is mixed right as splattering is annoying to say the least.
3: And lastly this is a lot of effort, especially when you use the airbrush once in a blue moon and have to dig things out of boxes to find them.
4: My airbrush is old and I want a new toy.

Anyway, here are the results on my DE raider. I'm somewhat happy with how it looks, but need to work on the colours/mixing the paint more, so I dont get splatter. I also think that this won't be something I'll do for one thing at a time as the setup and cleanup takes so much long.


The entire raider was painted in bits (topsides, gun and sail where assembled and glued though) and are ready to be assembled when done. Though I definitely want to redo it as it's much brighter than my DE troops.


Also, I've been getting my dystopian wars fleet done. Here's some shot's of progress. The ships are all 95% done (turrets and hull to do on the cruisers, same for the frigates) and the planes have only had the white and blue done.




Sunday, 19 February 2012

First new projects of 2012

With the last tournament over, and some sleep caught up on, it's time to start some new projects. After a bit of a cleanup I've rediscovered my high elf dragon that I purchased second hand. It's been sitting there while I eyed it's broken wing with apprehension. I've never painted a monster model before and this one came with a broken wing which I was dreading fixing as it was filled with old glue and the broken 'pin' that's molded on the wing.

I managed to clean most of it out with a knife and scraped the wing stump back so that it fit neatly in the socket again. A couple of brass rod pins and it's fixed. I then cleaned up the base, added some spare bits and textured plastic, and I've undercoated it ready for painting. As I've only done one monster before,  (And I recall it being a rush job) I thought I'd try using my airbrush again, at least for the main skin colour and the wings. Hopefully this will speed the process up a bit.
The other thing I've been doing is getting some parts lazercut from mdf. I want to get some high elf terrain made this way so that I don't have to spend so much time cutting little details out. As part of a test cut I've got some bases for my empire army war machines made. These are 80x60mm and 4mm thick. At that size I've got plenty of space to do some modeling on the bases, as you can see with my rocket battery.