Pages

Sunday, 28 August 2011

Well, I've started playing around with a couple of Golden Demon models, of which I'm not entirely sure I'll enter either. The first is a model of Pippin from Lord of the Rings. I haven't painted a lot of these models, but this is just an experiment at painting a tiny model. So far I've pretty much finished the cloak and the main black colour on the tunic. I'm not entirely happy with the back, but that's something I've always struggled with. I want to do some silver/grey freehand on the front and edge of the tunic too. The metals need to be retouched as I applied some of the inks a bit too heavily and due to the shape of the helmet (not entirely smooth/round) they've 'pooled' a bit.

The second is the new Deathmaster Snikch model which I've just done the metals and some of the skin for at this stage. I've gone for a heavily rusted metal blade with brass details everywhere else. The skin I'm trying to do similar to a black rat's skin with the lighter colour going to a dwarf flesh or similar. Hopefully that works.
I am a little bit stuck on what other colours to do on him. I'd have liked to do a dirty green with yellow checkers for the cloak, but that's not very assassin like, so I might do the cloak a dirty black and the pants a bit more coloured.

And finally I've been working on my Dystopian Wars Prussian fleet. We've just started picking up the rules and having seen how good my gaming buddies fleets look once they start getting paint on them, which has inspired me to get mine done.
I've tried a few colour combinations with these and wasn't happy till I hit upon this combo. Primarily black hulls, with Prussian blue gunnels, funnels and any other coloured areas. White decks, with timber soles (the floor for those with no boating terminology) and red trim in the odd place. Brass for all the tesla weaponry. You can see my test model on the lower right.



Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Sneak preview at something I'm working on for Golden Demon this year. I missed last year due to lack of motivation, but, I'm starting to get back into it again. I'm beginning to find it's a delicate balancing act between painting armies and painting figures for enjoyment.



Saturday, 6 August 2011

Wow, it's been a while. I knew I'd been slack in blogging but didn't realise it'd been almost a month since my last post. I haven't been entirely slack though. I've managed to get a new job, almost finish my handgunners. I just have to finish the flag on 3 of them. And the bases, then I can varnish and flock. However I've started to play 500 point games as part of a campaign I'm running. And since then I've decided I need a marksman with a repeater handgun. So now I've got to paint once of those. *sigh*

Some progress has been made on my unit fillers. This one is going into either the Rieksguard on foot or the men-at-arms detachment. I'm also struggling to work out what I can do as unit fillers for my other units. The main problem I'm having is 'presence' within the unit. For example the knight and his down horse work really well. It's using 1 model (to replace 4) and it fills the 'space'.
As apposed to the orc whose been hit by a knight with a lance. He looks good by him self and it's only one model taking up the place of four. But he just isn't big enough and when you put him with a unit there's a large 'gap' where the models heads should be. I suspect I could fix it by adding a model to the corner or a spear in the ground with a flag on it. But I'd really like to come up with something for the swordsmen. I had thought of doing a fence through the unit with 1-2 men climbing it. It seems a little 'over the top' though. We'll see.

I've also started doing some 'commission' work for my flatmate. I'm basically just painting some of his characters up and he's give me terrain for it. Seem's to work as he's very good at making terrain and I'm better at painting than he is (and/or I enjoy it more).
I've also done a little bit of work on Mortenebra. I had to pin her arm as it kept falling off. And now I've got her skirt done I just need to work out a way of painting it to look lacy. I want to get some sort of petticoat look so that once the rust and stains go on it get's a very contrasting look.